COD LIVER OIL
Cod Liver Oil
Cod liver oil is nutrient dense and an excellent source of essential vitamins like vitamin A and vitamin D, along with anti-inflammatory n-3 fatty acids (also known as omega-3 fatty acids) . A lot of people do not consume enough anti-inflammatory foods that provide n-3s and vitamin D, nutrients that play a key role in hormonal, cardiovascular , reproductive, immune and neurological health. Cod liver oil supplements can benefit both children and adults.
Why should you include cod liver oil in your diet?
• Anti-inflammatory fatty acids – Cold liver oil is nature's richest source of n-3 fatty acids - Eicosapentaenoic acid and Docosahexaenoic acid . Due to their inflammatory properties and ability to reduce the production of prostaglandin, n-3s reduce the need for generic anti-inflammatory drugs. They can be used to treat a variety of symptoms from coronary heart disease risk factors to arthritis pain or depression.
• Supplies vitamin D – This is more of a hormone than a vitamin as it affects inflammatory responses, neurotransmitter functioning, and heart health. Low levels of the vitamin can interfere with the cells' ability to multiply and replenish, increase the risk of falling sick short term or worse yet, lead to the development of a chronic autoimmune condition, cardiovascular or cognitive disease, osteoporosis, diabetes or cancer.
• Vitamin A source – Vitamin A is an antioxidant that lowers oxidative stress and inflammation levels. It is also linked to the prevention of disorders related to the eye, helps fight cancer, supports brain health, and is important for the production of hormones. Eating foods rich in vitamin A is beneficial for night vision, bone growth, cellular growth, ovarian and testicular function, and a lot more.
• Prevents heart disease – Cod liver oil helps lower high triglyceride, a dangerous fat present in blood that raises the risk of heart disease. It is also used to treat high blood pressure and balance the blood cholesterol level. The polyunsaturated n-3 fatty acids prevent atherosclerosis and its complications. When used along with statin drugs, it helps reverse the risk factor in patients who suffer from hypertriglyceridemia .
• Helps treat arthritis – Cod liver oil is an effective natural treatment for arthritis as it mimics the effects of arthritis medication. It acts as an NSAID, improves the clinical symptoms and can be used as an alternative or supplement for arthritis medications .
When buying cod liver oil supplements, make sure it is a reputable brand and that it also contains an antioxidant like astaxanthin to keep the oil from getting oxidised. You also have the option of fermented cod liver oil. As the name suggests, the livers are fermented to produce more vitamins and to make it more digestible before extracting the oil. The ideal way to consume it is to mix it with lemon water, juice, smoothie, yoghurt, apple sauce or almond butter to mask the fishy taste.